Monday, April 2, 2012

The Hawker Food I Love in Penang

It's been ages since I last visited Penang. More than 20 years I should say.

I was really too young to remember anything about Penang food. I was then 9 years old.

During my trip last week to Penang, I certainly indulged myself in tasty local Penang hawker food.

My fondest memories are of these:

1) Penang char koay teow - My favourite stall is the one at a street corner of Lebuh Melayu. At this unassuming stall, you can find a truly unique char koay teow. Unlike other stalls which use chicken eggs, this dish is prepared with duck eggs. So far the best I have eaten in my life.

2) Hong Kong Tim Sum - Not only is it good, it's cheap in Penang. The best I have eaten is at Bali Hai Seafood Restaurant along Gurney Drive (or 'Persiaran Gurney' in Bahasa Malayu). [Yes, I know tim sum cannot really be considered Penang local hawker food, but I thought it was worthy of mention]

3) Fried oysters - You can actually chew into fresh oysters. Most places are able to whip up nice hot plates of fried oysters quickly.

4) Barbequed sting ray - Another strongly recommended item.

5) Chendul - In one of the back alleys in Georgetown, you will find 'Penang Famous Teochew Chendul - Ice Kacang'. Crowds mill around the stall throughout the whole day. A truly satisfying dessert that cools your body after a hot day in the sun.




6) Bacon Tomato Onion Bagel - Another unusual find. I could barely discern the entrance of this cafe 'Amelie', since it was partly covered by the overhanging creepers. I found the Bacon Tomato Onion Bagel especially tasty. Isn't the sight of the bagel simply mouthwatering?

7) Tau Sa Piah - not hawker food, but definitely a local specialty. Him Heang is a very popular brand even among locals. I even had to queue for more than an hour to get freshly baked tau sa piahs.


Not necessarily the healthiest of options, but these treats should not be missed if you are visiting Penang.

No comments:

Post a Comment