Friday, January 7, 2011

Truly Refreshing Experience at Gecko


I can only say it was a pleasant surprise.

It is not the first time that I am eating at Gecko today. I have previously visited the outlet on Luong Ngoc Quyen Street on 2 occasions.

My first experience left me with a dread for the long wait it takes for the food to arrive on the table. Admittedly, the food was good, and it was one of the tastiest steaks I have eaten in Hanoi. But the wait was enough to kill me. It took close to 1.5 hours before the steak finally arrived on the table.When I threatened to cancel my order, that was when finally some action was taken, and my steak arrived on my table 10 minutes later. I remember another couple continually asking about the status of their order too.

I believe in giving second chances before I write my feedback on the restaurant. I resolved to go to the restaurant only when I had plenty of time to kill.

On my second visit to the Luong Ngoc Quyen outlet, there were fewer people that day. I can't remember how long I waited. But I have been conditioned to wait. The 2 backpackers seated on the adjacent table asked the waitress to expedite their orders as they were rushing for the train. I also recall that the smoked salmon steak with wasabi mashed potato tasted absolutely smashing.


Smoked salmon steak with wasabi mashed potato

What a surprise I had at the Hang Bo Street outlet today! I had a most scrumptious grilled beef with mustard sauce, tasty Bart Simpson (mocktail), and crepe chocolate - all served in triple quick time, for the price of VND152,000 (USD1=VND20,000). I also enjoyed the conversation with the co-owner, a Mr. Thomas Viet, who extolled on the importance of good service in his line of business.

Finally, Gecko is living up to the mantra 'Good Service - Inexpensive Price', that appears prominently at the bottom of the namecard.

Gecko Bar - Cafe - Fasfood is a chain of restaurants in Hanoi, with outlets at the following addresses:

(1) 89 Hang Bo Street, Tel: 043 9234000
(2) 22 Luong Ngoc Quyen Street, Tel: 043 9262382
(3) 86 Hang Quat Street, Tel: 043 8288773

It is also featured in the Lonely Planet Guide to Vietnam.

If you want to try Gecko, do try the Hang Bo outlet...unless, of course, you are prepared to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment